FCC Licensing

Event Radio Rentals has the ability to help you with frequency coordination and FCC Licensing services. We have FCC Licensing Coordinators that will assist you in all your licensing rules and regulations including, but not limited to:

  • Two-way radio dispatch
  • SMR (Specialized Mobile Radio)
  • GPS
  • UHF, VHF and 800Mhz LTR (trunking system)
  • Commercial, Educational, Industrial and Public Safety Systems

If you need more information about FCC Licensing or have any questions please contact Event Radio Rentals via email info@EventRadioRentals.com or by phone at 1-800-996-1810 during normal business hours.

FCC Licensing Facts

What is the FCC?
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency, directly responsible to Congress. The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC’s jurisdiction covers all 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories.

Who is required to have an FCC license?
Almost all, commercial or public entity radios need to be licensed. The only exception to this rule is if you are an RCS Communications trunking subscriber in where RCS already holds a license for you to use on our system.

Are there penalties for using radios without an FCC License?
Yes. FCC policy statement 91-217 (effective August 1, 1991) established fines of $8,000 per day for unlicensed and/or improperly licensed use of a radio system. There are various other fines that can also be charged.

Should I be concerned about all of the official looking solicitations I receive about FCC Licensing?
If you ever receive an FCC related solicitation and are concerned or confused about it, feel free to call or email us and we’ll help you out.

Where can I get a copy of the FCC Rules & Regulations handbook?
You can download it from the internet at http://wireless.fcc.gov under “rules & regulations”, Title 47, Section 90.

Do FRS (Family Radio Service) radios require a license?
FRS radios are very low power and do not require FCC Licensing because they are intended for family use. All radios that are higher than 1watt of power do require an FCC License, but these frequencies do not require coordination, they are still required by the FCC. It is important to note that it is illegal to use high-powered commercial radios programmed on FRS frequencies.

Do I need an FCC License if I rent equipment from Event Radio Rentals?
No, all rental equipment is covered by our National FCC License.  There is no need to worry about any license requirements when you rent equipment.